Wednesday, July 28, 2010

“Beer Me”

It’s always fun when an event you planned months in advance works out perfectly, that was last night. My husband and I had tickets to see Sting with the Philharmonic Orchestra at Jones Beach Theater. For those of you outside this area, it’s an outdoor amphitheater. Jones Beach Theater is an intimate setting that is heavily dependent on weather.

Summer nights have been beastly hot this year and three weeks ago, an outdoor summer concert would have been a breeze-less, unpleasant, sweat fest. Not last night, it was cool and dry with a lovely breeze and a huge, reddish-orange full moon that rose behind the stage and cast a glimmer on the water.

Back up a few hours, it was my husband’s intent to take most of the day and hang at the beach, have a picnic dinner and then go to the concert…but as Murphy’s law would have it, life got in the way of that all day plan at the beach.

We got a late start, like 4pm, driving to Long Island. Those of you who live here know that we sat it a lot of traffic to get to the beach. Once we arrived, the stress melted away. I dug my toes in the sand and enjoyed the cool, salty breezes. The water was pleasant and after an hour of chatting and reading magazines, I turned to my husband and said “beer me.”

It’s a college phrase, or it was in my day, meaning “please open up a beer for me.”

I earned a big eye roll for that, but he did pop open a Bard’s Beer for me. Does it get any better than this? A beautiful evening, good company, lots of good snacks and a well chilled beer on the beach (of course, poured into a cup so as not to flout any open container rules).

I like this beer, it’s got a great color and great taste. Plus, as beer aficionados, the founders of Bard’s Beer, Craig Belser and Kevin Seplowitz, have a great story. Their website promotes the theory of great conversation over a cold beer, which they have made available for the growing number of celiac beer aficionados.

So I may have gotten a little ‘tude for my “beer me” comment, but I also got a great beer to compliment a great evening.

Kendall Egan

2 comments:

Shakira Brown - Gift Guide Editor said...

The amount of GF products available in local grocery stores is very uplifting. The fact that celiacs can once again enjoy beer is quite positive. A Target near me just remodeled its grocery section added probably 50 or so GF products. I had tears in my eyes as I strolled the aisles!

Progress
Shakira B.
http://glutenfreedays.com

Unknown said...

Thought you might be interested in this story about gluten-free beer in D.C.:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39570/gluten-free-beer-exists-really-but-you-may-not-like