Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fasano on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity

All the news about the University of Maryland study that distinguishes gluten sensitivity from celiac disease has prompted us to share our recent Gluten-Free Living interview with lead researcher Alessio Fasano, MD.

Fasano, director of the Center for Celiac Research, sat down with me for an extended interview for our last issue published in 2010. He covered a wide range of topics. One was gluten sensitivity and the particular challenges it present to those who have it and the doctors they visit looking for answers.

You can read the full interview on our website.

Amy Ratner

1 comment:

Delicioulsy Gluten-Free said...

Alot of what he said was very encouraging, but from a personal point of view, I don't agree with his assessment of gluten sensitivity. Its been 4 years since I discovered that I was gluten intolerant, and I have grown out of it. I am more sensitive to it now than I was before.

Also at least one of my children has the sensitivity too, so it can be passed on. I think the sensitivity needs more focus than its getting. We are just saying that you have celiac if your tests come back positive. As medicine improves on this subject, I am sure their old findings will be discovered to be incorrect as usual. In the meantime, don't tell people that suffer from migraines when they eat gluten that it is a placebo effect, really? So frustrating. This is why people push for a positive diagnosis so the medical community won't say ALL your symptoms are in your head.