Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Justifying an Impulse Purchase

The temperature plummeted in the northeast this weekend reminding me that winter is just around the corner. I think it was the fact that I was chilled to the bone while out and about on a rare Sunday to myself up in Providence, RI that prompted a purchase of a set of totally useless hot chocolate spoons.

They are adorable, don’t get me wrong, but why does anyone need a special spoon for chocolate milk or hot chocolate? In a moment of weakness, I thought they perfectly matched the mugs I purchased for my kids on Valentine’s Day several years ago.

I also bought a Halloween themed silicon spatula that was marked down, but that was a useful and necessary item in my kitchen even with the orange and black, witchy and spidery theme going on. I just keep shaking my head when I look at these hot chocolate spoons.

Every afternoon I have a big mug of green tea. I guess I could shake it up every once and a while and have a hot cocoa…both are gluten-free. My kids make hot cocoa all the time, but they don’t shove all the other mugs out of the way to get to their Valentine’s Day mugs and I certainly can’t see them freaking out if they can’t find the hot chocolate spoons!

I have the green tea for the little bit of caffeine around 2:30 to preempt the late afternoon sinker. Green tea is also in that “good for you” category since it is full of anti-oxidants, unlike a caffeinated soda.

However, as a celiac who is slightly vitamin D deficient, I am thinking that one or two mugs of hot cocoa per week may be an idea to ponder. If I make hot cocoa using skim milk and a high quality dark cocoa, I will get a little bit of caffeine, a little bit of anti-oxidants, calcium and vitamin D. Plus, it has a certain level of decadence even if I use skim milk!

I am going to do it! Who has a fantastic gluten-free cocoa powder to recommend? I am trying really hard to justify my very silly purchase of hot chocolate spoons.

Kendall Egan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Try my pick me up recipe:
"Karen's Quick & Easy CoCo Cafe au Lait"

4 oz (1/2 carton) Kirkland Organic Reduced Fat Chocolate Milk (4.12 oz = 95 calories)

4 oz Enriched Organic Rice Dream (4 oz = 60 calories)

1/2 tsp or more Kava Acid Neutralized Instant Coffee*

Just enough caffeine to perk me up and get me going and the soft creamy satisfaction of chocolate milk, but not enough to trigger digestive distress.

*Q: Does Kava coffee contain Gluten?
A: Kava instant coffee does not contain Gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and corn.

Q: Is Kava coffee decaffeinated?
A: Kava instant coffee contains the same amount of caffeine as regular coffee. If there is a medical concern, you should always check with your family physician about whether Kava coffee is right for you.

Q: How much caffeine is in Kava coffee?
A: Kava instant coffee contains 80-125mg. of caffeine per serving.

Q: How is the acid reduced/removed from Kava coffee?
A: The acid in Kava instant coffee is not removed but neutralized with potassium, much like adding an antacid tablet to each cup. If you need to watch potassium in your diet, please refer to your family physician for additional information.

Gluten-Free Living said...

That sounds really, really good!
Kendall