Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Bad Turn in “Fad Diet”

Yesterday’s Wall Street Journal’s sports page had a “What You Need to Know” Q & A about football that mentioned a gluten-free diet.

In my opinion, this mention of a gluten-free diet wasn’t really a good thing. They were talking about the Jets (an offensive subject at any level to a diehard Giant’s fan, but I digress). The reporter was answering the question “are the Jet’s for real,” as in are they worth all the media hype they have received thus far in the season.

I quote, “Potty-mouthed head coach Rex Ryan, a/k/a Magic Khakis, is more popular here than gluten-free diets, and the Super Bowl talk flows freely, and alarmingly.”

First off, I highly doubt the Jet’s will make it to the Super Bowl. But, more alarmingly the “popularity” of a gluten-free diet, as it is stated here, is not something I think is entirely positive. Even though medical professionals have stated that a “g-free” diet is not really a weight loss tool, people are still hopping on the trend bandwagon of going gluten-free to lose weight.

I have to say I just get so…ticked off, trying to keep it “G” rated…when a person extols the virtues of a gluten-free diet when it’s just a temporary diversion for them. “I feel so fabulous.” “I have so much energy.” Blah, Blah, Blah…

I know that within weeks a slice of pizza or a loaf of French bread or a plate of pasta will sneak back in and then the door will open to a regular intake of foods containing gluten again. It’s annoying and I regularly point out the big difference between the trendster and a celiac, I am on a gluten-free diet forever and for far different reasons. I’m trying to avoid a plethora of scary diseases, plus I would be sick as a dog if I were to eat a plate of regular pasta.

What I really feel like saying, is take your trendy enthusiasm for the gluten-free diet and…well, channeling the “G” rating again, you get the idea.

Kendall Egan

2 comments:

Auntie Lolo said...

wow! I totally understand! I get so annoyed with people calling it a 'diet'. My g-ma cannot get it in her head that this is for my health and is not a choice. She huffs and puffs and rolls her eyes when I have to order 'special items' at a restaurant. We keep explaining it to her but then she sees stuff on tv about the gluten free 'diet' and asks me why I haven't lost weight. Lets hope that more people like you will blog about it and correct the mis-informed.

GFyvr said...

You know, any publicity is good publicity in the end, it is just how it is handled once it happens. Has anyone approached this person making the comment and praised the stadium for serving gluten free food for those with the MEDICAL NEED for those with Celiac Disease that require GF food and to be able to enjoy it just like all the other patrons at the facility (no matter what team it is)? I am in Canada however I see it as great what is happening in the US with regards to football and baseball stadiums and offering GF options no matter what someone says in a heated moment. Those comments can always be turned around and the positive points pulled from them. In Canada we do not have GF options in our hockey arenas, however at the Olympics (I live in Vancouver)we were allowed to bring food in with a verbal reason as there was NO GF food at any of the facilities.
So why not respond to where ever this was quoted with a positive response from the Celiac Community as to how great it is to have GF food at that foodball park?