Monday, April 19, 2010

Baking at the CIA tomorrow!

I am leaving in a little bit and heading up to Hyde Park so that I will be bright-eyed for my gluten-free pastry class tomorrow at the Culinary Institute of America. Chef Richard Coppedge, Jr. C.M.B. is going to be our second interviewee of the year and I am the lucky interviewer.

He thought it would be best if I came and participated in the class so that I could further understand what it’s all about…I’m going through his cook book now and I’m really amazed at some of the gluten-free pastries here.

As a huge fan of the Food Network and a pretty decent home cook, I am just over the moon at this opportunity to work in a professional kitchen and learn some new tips. But I’m also terribly nervous because I hate baking and I really stink at baking.

True confessions, I have never baked anything from scratch, gluten-free or otherwise. Buy a mix, dump in eggs and stuff, bake in proper pan and “viola.” Well, I have made NestlĂ©’s Toll House cookies but that’s a recipe does not involve patience, competence or precision so this is going to be an education.

The interview will run in our next issue, which ships in June. I think it is going to be a really great day.

Kendall Egan

3 comments:

Marnely Rodriguez-Murray said...

Chef Coppedge ROCKS! He will teach you so much, he is an awesome, dedicated guy that lives and breathes gluten-free! Have fun!

Follies Girls said...

So what's the update? How did it go?

Amy Green said...

I can't wait to hear about this...I'm gluten-free and a culinary arts student. The executive pastry chef at our school was a student of Chef Coppedge when he was at Johnson & Wales. She has been in touch with him about the gluten-free offerings at our school.

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free